When thinking about buying a used forklift, there are a number of factors to take into account. With this in mind, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of purchasing used forklifts in Lafayette, LA compared to going with a brand new model:
- Selection and availability: Although brand new forklifts cost more than buying used, you’ll have a better chance at getting the exact forklift model you want. Choose from the newest models and get the option to add extra features or equipment attachments. You may want to buy a new forklift, but that can mean having to wait for the manufacturer to ship one to you. How long you will have to wait depends on the model, mast height request and additional options. Buy used, meanwhile, and although you’ll have to compromise on the model and features, you’ll have your forklift much sooner.
- Economic life: Once it becomes more expensive to repair your forklift than to buy a new one, the economic life of your forklift has ended. With that in mind, it makes sense that the equipment on a new forklift will last longer than the majority of used forklifts.
- Forklift warranties: Purchasing a brand new forklift most always comes with a warranty. Just about every forklift manufacturer offers warranties on their new forklifts. The type of warranty is typically based on your usage, and often lasts from 12 to 36 months depending on your facility’s situation. When buying used, a reputable dealer—not an individual seller or the manufacturer—may offer a limited warranty that typically covers parts and labor for repairs up to 60 days.
- Life expectancy: The life expectancy of your forklift depends on your work environment, usage, operator handling and maintenance practices, but a new forklift is likely to have a longer lifespan over a used one. However, a used forklift that has been well taken care of can last through extensive use.
- Maintenance costs: A used forklift may come with a lot of wear and tear. If the existing wear and tear is extensive and you use it regularly, the result can be unexpected downtime, repairs and parts replacement. In other words, a used forklift can mean more maintenance costs than you would expect to spend on a new one.
- Price: Though pricing varies depending on the model, tires, capacity and other features and the manufacturer, it’s safe to say that buying a new forklift is expensive. For instance, a new electric forklift can range from $20,000 to $35,000, while a new LPG forklift on average can range from $20,000 to $60,000. A used forklift will cost less, but make sure to check its condition before buying. Another perk of buying used is that you might be able to negotiate the price with the forklift dealer or seller. When you pay a lower upfront cost for your forklift, you are better able to save for regular maintenance and important services down the road.
For a great selection of forklifts for sale in Lafayette, LA, visit George’s Lift Truck Service, LLC. Contact us today for more information!
This post was written by Writer