Sealed fluid-power systems, such as those found on forklifts and pallet jacks, are dependent on tiny pieces of rubber or rubberized material known as O-rings. O-rings seal the working fluid into the pressurized areas that make lifting and dropping actions possible. The failure of an O-ring will most likely require you to obtain the services of a company specializing in forklift repair in Lafayette, LA.
While O-ring damage and malfunction is indeed bound to happen after a certain amount of time, it can also be indicative of larger problems with your machinery, such as improperly finished pistons. If you are experiencing sealing problems, seeking the help of someone qualified to perform forklift repair in Lafayette, LA is usually advisable.
The elasticity of O-rings presents a unique challenge for engineers, repair specialists and machine owners alike; they must deform to function properly. These donut-shaped pieces of material are usually extremely durable and can last for years if cared for properly, but they still are susceptible to wear and tear as well as environmental damage. Here are the most common causes of O-ring malfunction:
- Improper gland design: This issue can occur when an O-ring has not been designed to accommodate the amount of pressure needed to operate your machinery. It may result in an insufficient seal.
- Incorrect size: Selecting the correctly sized O-ring can be deceptively difficult. If you are unsure about the type and size of O-ring that your machinery needs to operate correctly, it’s best to consult with a forklift repair service.
- Environmental incompatibility: Different elastic compounds can be vulnerable to degradation if they come into contact with certain substances. Trial and error may be the only way to determine if you are using an elastomer that is susceptible to cellular breakdown.
- Inadequate lubrication: O-rings require a certain amount of lubrication to be applied when they are installed. If your O-ring is not functioning properly, it may not be able to form a functioning seal due to a lack of lubrication. Learning how to properly lubricate an O-ring is an essential part of successfully maintaining your equipment.
- Improper installation: Centering an O-ring is essential to installing it correctly. Additionally, there shouldn’t be any twisting of the ring, and the polymer should be laid evenly and flatly on top of the installation surface.
O-ring malfunction can also be caused by a myriad of other issues, such as poor finishing on the moving mechanisms associated with your machinery, exposure to gasoline and other forms of operator error.
Diagnosing your O-ring problem is essential to having it properly repaired. If you are in need of forklift repair in Lafayette, LA, reaching out to a qualified specialist is often the most cost-effective and efficient way to get your machinery fully operational again.
George’s Lift Truck Service, LLC has been providing high-quality forklift repair in Lafayette, LA since 1969. If you are experiencing a broken O-ring on one of your pieces of equipment, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our knowledgeable staff members!
Categorised in: Forklift Repair
This post was written by Writer